It is not my first post (Crypto and Quantum Computing) and I am sure it will not be my last. I am deeply convinced that quantum computing will create a nightmare some when in the industry. It does actually not need thousands of computers â€“ it just needs one and cryptography the way we know it today is toast as encryption becomes breakable at least by the ones having the computer. And who tells us that there is no government out there already easily decrypting everything we protect? It is not that unlikely.
This will create something like the Y2k problem we know very well. The big difference is, that there is no fix target date and there is “no pressure” up until the moment we know that the algorithms we build our business on are broken and then everybody will run. I guess it would be wise to at least start an inventory, where you are using which crypto algorithms and start to understand how you could replace them if needed.
I you ask this question: Will Quantum Computers Threaten Modern Cryptography? â€“ I am sure it will
But there is a good side on this as well as this will be solved then: Encryption puts terrorists beyond the reach of law, says MI5 chief â€“ I just fear that criminals and terrorists adapt faster than usâ€¦
- Will Quantum Computers Threaten Modern Cryptography? (tripwire.com)
- Where Is Your Technology In The Gartner Hype Cycle? (gust.com)
- Online Security Braces for Quantum Revolution (cryptogon.com)
- NSA Plans to Develop Encryption That Could Stump Quantum Computers (news.ycombinator.com)
- The Tricky Encryption That Could Stump Quantum Computers (packetstormsecurity.com)