The whole discussion about NSA and Mr. Snowden sometimes gives me the impression the people think that the US is the only one which spies. Well, letâ€™s think again. You might have seen the reports: Russia ‘spied on G20 leaders with USB sticks’.
They actually used an interesting approach by handing out complementary USB sticks to delegates (not the leaders). I hope the delegates to Â our world leaders heard of social engineering and did not use themâ€¦
To quote the report:
Suspicions were first raised about the Russian spying campaign by Herman Van Rompuy, the President of the European Council, according to Corriere della Sera, which carried the story on its front page.
He ordered the USB pen drives and other devices received by the delegates in St Petersburg to be analysed by intelligence experts in Brussels, as well as Germanyâ€™s secret service.
A memorandum was then sent out to G20 members, the Italian daily claimed.
â€œThe USB pen drives and the recharging cables were able to covertly capture computer and mobile phone data,â€ the secret memo said.
The devices were â€œa poisoned giftâ€ from Vladimir Putin, claimed La Stampa, the Turin-based daily.
â€œThey were Trojan horses designed to obtain information from computers and cell phones,â€ the paper said.
Thatâ€™s really not polite J. There is a German saying: â€œEinem geschenkten Gaul schaut man nicht ins Maulâ€ â€“ you should never doubt a present.
Oh, by the way, the Russian government immediately denied: Russia denies spying on G20 leaders at St Petersburg summit. I leave it to you to judge
- Russia ‘spied on G20 leaders with USB sticks’… (telegraph.co.uk)
- Russia ‘spied on G20 leaders with USB sticks’ (yalibnan.com)
- Vladimir Putin accused of spying on world leaders at G20 summit with “poisoned” computer memory sticks (mirror.co.uk)
- Russia denies spying on G20 leaders at St Petersburg summit (theguardian.com)
- Russia ‘Spied On G20 Leaders With USB Sticks’ (businessinsider.com)
- Russia handed malware-laden devices to G20 delegates? (net-security.org)
- Italian Reports Say Russia ‘Tried To Spy On G20 Nations’ With Gifts Of Hacked Cables And USB Sticks (huffingtonpost.co.uk)