The Department of Homeland Security published a report on A Roadmap for Cybersecurity Research, I was definitely impressed!
All the themes, which are important to me are in their list :
- Scalable trustworthy systems (including system architectures and requisite development methodology)
- Enterprise-level metrics (including measures of overall system trustworthiness)
- System evaluation life cycle (including approaches for sufficient assurance)
- Combating insider threats
- Combating malware and botnets
- Global-scale identity management
- Survivability of time-critical systems
- Situational understanding and attack attribution
- Provenance (relating to information, systems, and hardware)
- Privacy-aware security
- Usable security
It is great to see that this goes in the right direction! The key will be, when the research will deliver results.